Brisbane had its Marriage Equality Rally yesterday at Queen’s Park.
With over 1000 people in attendance, we had 7 speakers –
- Liz Ross, Author and Activist, and marched in the first Mardis Gras in Sydney in 1978
- Graeme Perrett, Labor Member for Moreton [my apologies, I previously had Graeme down as a Candidate, thanks to Phil Browne for spotting this – twitter @palmboy4444 ]
- Adam Stone, Greens Candidate
- Rowan Oost and Rachel Gilmore – Trans* Activists
- Jake Harrison – a finalist from My Kitchen Rules
- Kat Henderson – Speaker from Equal Love
I would dearly love to comment on the speeches, on everything! But I was simply too busy – I was manning the merchandise stall and so many people wanted things – it was all a bit of a blur until it was time to march for me to heft my trusty megaphone and bellow for all I was worth!
“What do we want? Marriage Equality! When do we want it? Now!”
“Hey hey, ho ho, homophobia’s got to go”
“Gillard, Abbott, ALP: We demand equality!”
“Homophobia: No way! We’re going to fight it all the way!”
“Gay, Straight, Black, White: We demand our civil rights!”
About halfway through, we stopped at the corner of Adelaide and Edward Streets and chalked a massive rainbow across the intersection!
The atmosphere was AMAZING and the crowd marched and some of them danced their way down the streets. I can’t wait for the next one! Although I hope the Bandt/Wilkie bill passes on June 6 and we can raise awareness of other queer community issues!
See you all at the next rally on August 17th – first weekend of the (Official) Election Campaign
[Author’s note – I know some of you might have seen this before I posted the rest – I accidentally hit “Send to blog” early – whoops!]